The Unifying Framework for PsychotherapyTM
Therapy that Works®
Learn a single streamlined, evidence-informed framework that is comprehensive enough to work with all of your clients.
The most time-efficient, cost-effective approach available for becoming a highly effective clinician.
What if You Could...
- Confidently know exactly what to do when seeing all your clients, even your most challenging ones.
- Savor your workdays because they are filled with meaningful, engaging conversations that you effortlessly facilitate.
- Set any goal--personal or professional--and know how to achieve it.
- Enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes from being highly effective at what you do.
- Create a joyful personal life that complements your career as a mental health professional.
- Have multiple options for earning more money doing what you love.
- Save $1,000s on professional training.
Let's talk about how!
Are You Ready for an Approach that Works?
- You are passionate about meaningfully helping others with life's greatest challenges.
- You want to create a stress-free career that you enjoy.
- You are exhausted from feeling like an imposter and second-guessing yourself.
- You're done tearing your hair out, wondering over which approach to use with which client based on the evidence base.
- You are tired of signing up for expensive workshops and conferences that nevertheless leave you wondering what to do in your next session.
- You want to be able to make a good income in the field of mental health.
- You want your personal life to be as fulfilling as your professional life.
- You want to save 90+% on your professional training.
- You want to realize your dream of making a meaningful difference in the world--and enjoy doing it.
Transform Your Practice and Your Life
What if doing therapy were easy for you?
- Confidence: What would it be like if you were totally confident in your ability to help any client who walked into your office?
- Income Potential: How would your career path be different if every client who came to you reliably improved?
- Reduced Stress: How much would your daily stress decrease if you knew how to be effective with all of your clients?
- Save Time and Money: Save time and money by learning a streamlined method that synthesizes over 50 different theoretical approaches and the evidence base.
- Effectiveness: How would it change how you see yourself and your job if you knew exactly what do whether a client is dealing with trauma, depression, anxiety, parenting, OCD, couple conflict, or grief?
- Clarity of Mind: What if you were able to learn a single, simple framework that enabled you to simultaneously draw from all of your preferred models at the same time?
- Master the Evidence Base: What if you learned how to use key elements of the major evidence-based approaches in a single, coherent model that only required you to join one training program?
- Goal Achievement: If you learned the basic techniques to achieve any goal, what area of your life would you want to transform first?
Dr. Diane Gehart
I've spent much of my career trying to figure out how to do therapy well, going to countless workshops to learn numerous theoretical models.
In addition to working with nearly 250,000 clients as a therapist and supervisor, I put my many years of professional training into books and became the only person to write both a leading textbook in counseling theories and one on family therapy theories.
However, after nearly 30 years as an active member of the established academic community, I have come to the conclusion that the field of mental health needs to find a better way to train its professionals--both those entering the field and those in it for decades.
Rather than spend the rest of my career fighting a deeply entrenched educational system, I have decided to simply offer a saner approach to becoming a highly effective mental health professional for those who are interested.
You are welcome to join me if you too believe there has to be an easier way to do this work well.
And here's the boring bio you were probably expecting:
Dr. Diane Gehart is a Professor in the Marriage and Family Therapy and Counseling Programs at California State University, Northridge, and the Director of the Institute for Therapy that Works. She has authored numerous titles including Mastering Competencies in Family Therapy, Theory and Treatment Planning in Counseling and Psychotherapy, Mindfulness for Chocolate Lovers: A Lighthearted Way to Stress Less and Savor More Each Day, and Mindfulness and Acceptance in Couple and Family Therapy, and has co-edited with Harlene Anderson Collaborative Therapy: Relationships and Conversations that Make a Difference and Collaborative-Dialogic Practice: Relationships and Conversations Across Contexts and Cultures.
Zvisiney's Success Story...
Dr. Gehart’s Therapy that Works! is beyond valuable. As a Marriage and Family Graduate Student, I was equipped with a framework of therapy skills and wisdom to begin practicing at my best. I have no excuse but to do ‘therapy well’.
The whole course was packed with current research on critical client challenges. What I found most valuable was 1. understanding how to work with "personality disorders," simple zoom interventions essential for the future of online therapy, and the 4-level assessment and case conceptualization.
Dr. Gehart simplifies complicated topics and encourages each clinician to embody their self-of-the-therapist.
A big highlight was the module on income and career-building, something often overlooked.
Thank you Dr. Gehart for this amazing course!
Marriage and Family Therapy Graduate Student, United States International University – Africa
Capt. Brewster's Success Story...
In the military fighter aircraft and the airline business, we pilots are always looking for the “gouge.” The gouge is the information we REALLY, REALLY need to know. Information that will guide, inform, and direct; gouge cuts through mountains of information allowing us to excel and flourish. Therapy That Works is the gouge for doing therapy WELL. It transformed my practicum experience. Treat it as a necessary part of your tuition. Get the gouge, take the class.
Your Mission Should You Choose to Accept It...
- Learn a single streamlined, evidence-informed psychotherapy framework that you can use with all of your outpatient clients, including adults, couples, and families.
- Save Money: Save $1,000s learning an approach that synthesizes over 50 different theories and the evidence base.
- Save Time: Spend 5 months rather than 5 years learning everything you need to know to not only be a highly competent clinician but also level up your income-earning potential.
- Receive live supervision and feedback from a leading expert in the field while you work together with classmates taking turns as the therapist with virtual reality clients, boosting your confidence and real-world skills.
- Imagine going to work each day feeling confident in your ability to help anyone who walks through the door and leaving each day feeling like you have made the world a better place.
- Envision the new opportunities to increase your income that will be available to you once you become a highly effective clinician with a wide range of clients.
- Consider how the quality of your personal life will change when your working hours are no longer a source of stress.
- Live life from a state of perpetual gratitude for being able to be paid well to bring good into the world.
Darcy's Success Story...
Phyllis's Success Story...
Dr. Gehart’s interactive online course, “Therapy That Works Live!” was both engaging and comprehensive.
The training modules were insightful and pragmatic, with videos including Imposter Syndrome, self-of-the-therapist, 4-level assessment, and career options for making a living wage in the field of psychotherapy.
Particularly unique to the course was the live avatar client simulations by which Dr. Gehart coached clinicians through the science and art of therapy – priceless!
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, California
The Unifying Framework for PsychotherapyTM
20 Hours of Live Supervision
Learn actual skills with 20 hours of live training and demonstration, including live supervision using the latest technology: mixed-reality virtual simulations.
Learn a single framework that you can use with all your clients...and simultaneously still use your favorite approaches and techniques.
Integrate the latest evidence-based treatments and knowledge into your treatment planning and interventions to dramatically improve your outcomes.
Meaningfully Engage Diversity
Make a real difference. Learn a practical approach to working with multiple forms of diversity and marginalization that is positive, uplifting, and transformative for all.
Connect Couples and Families
Discover the most effective ways to enable couples and families to rebuild a strong relational foundation using just a handful of assessments and interventions.
Create Lasting Change
Understand how to use narrative and solution-focused therapy to solidify lasting change with your clients.
Learn an entirely new approach to understanding "personality disorders" and how these common interactional patterns affect virtually every client we meet.
Achieve Any Goal
Learn the 3-step method to effectively set and achieve any goal, improving your clinical outcomes as well as your personal goals.
Save Time and Money
You'd have to take 10-12 other master classes over multiple years to learn the equivalent of what you learn in this 5-month course.
Numbers Don't Lie!
These statistics may not seem real, but this is truly what the first cohort who learned Therapy that Works® reported:
100% said they were more confident in their ability to help clients.
100% said they had improved their clinical abilities.
100% said they had grown personally in the program.
100% said it was worth the investment.
Carrie's Success Story...
The Unifying Framework for PsychotherapyTM
Therapy that Works®
Up to 45 Hours of Continuing Education:
25 Hours of Education + 20 Hours of Live Supervision and Skills Training
The full course includes 25 hours of pre-recorded lectures plus 20 hours of live supervision and demonstration/skills training on Zoom.
Flexible Scheduling that Works for Everyone
- Join 2-3 live sessions each month, offered on weekends and evenings.
- Choose to do all hours at your own pace with video-on-demand or join the live sessions.
- No matter what your schedule is or where you live on the globe, you can attend live sessions regularly.
- Live sessions will be offered on weekends and weeknights to accommodate every schedule.
Module 1: Get Yourself Together: Self-of-the-Practitioner
- Develop a comprehensive approach to self-care and master goal setting in your own life to reduce burnout and countertransference
- Examine your own emotional and wellness habits and set goals for improvement in at least one area
- Learn the latest motivational psychology principles to make those goals happen, simultaneously learning valuable lessons that will enable your clients to achieve their goals as well
- The fastest cure for imposter syndrome!
- Many graduates of this program say that this module is so valuable it is worth the cost of the whole program.
Module 2: Collaborative Connecting
- Master a stunningly simple approach to creating therapeutic relationships using the latest neurobiology along with postmodern, collaborative practices
- Learn an ideal method for connecting with diverse clients
- Immediately begin facilitating transformative dialogic conversations that honor your clients' humanity
Module 3: The Viewing (a.k.a. Case Conceptualization & Assessment)
- Learn a remarkably easy-to-use comprehensive conceptualization approach that synthesizes the knowledge of the field and is equally effective with individuals, couples, and families regardless of presenting issues
- Develop a framework that enables you to seamlessly connect multiple theoretical perspectives, allowing you to efficiently and effectively draw from all of your previous training simultaneously
- Discover how to meaningfully engage issues of diversity and marginalization in ways that are natural and engaging
Module 4: Evidence-Informed Treatment Planning
- Understand what the research says about what works with most presenting issues in outpatient settings
- Know when to use your theory of choice or an evidence-informed approach
- Ensure successful outcomes with your most complex clients by knowing where, when, and how to refer to identify subtle medical issues that are present with most chronic mental health issues, dramatically improving clients outcomes
Module 5: The Doing (a.k.a. Interventions)
- Learn and practice a comprehensive set of interventions for 95% of common outpatient presenting concerns, drawing from collaborative, cognitive-behavioral, dialectic-behavioral, emotionally focused, exposure, functional family, narrative, solution-focused, structural, systemic, and trauma-focused therapies.
Module 6: Ending Well: How to Create Enduring Change into the Future
- Understand how to use narrative and solution-focused therapy to solidify lasting change with your clients by crafting resilient identity narratives that support them in all areas of life.
- Develop a meaningful approach to support lasting change in clients with marginalized identities
- Increase referrals by developing a reputation for creating lasting change.
Module 7: Income and Career Building: A Course that Pays for Itself
- Finally, identify ways to increase your income while creating a career path you love.
- Bonus Videos: Affiliate Income Opportunities and Building Your Practice
The Most Cost-Effective Training Available...
You would have to take a minimum of 10-12 other courses to get the same information.
- Save over $10,000 to receive equivalent training elsewhere, including:
- Training in over 12 different therapeutic models
- Evidence-informed treatment planning for the entire DSM-5-TR
- Interventions from six different evidence-based treatments (EBTs)
- Practically applied social justice and diversity
- Expert lead live supervision with mixed-reality simulation
- Live demonstration and consultation with expert therapist
- Career coaching and planning
- Functional medicine and brain-based interventions
- Professional and personal mentoring
- 70% less than your average graduate course...yet you will learn so much more. Many claim they learned more in this one course than their entire master's program!
- $624.80 is the average tax write-off for the course in the U.S.
- Many students report making/saving $2,000-$10,000+ from the practical knowledge they gain related to personal development, practice management, finances, functional medicine, and more.
Alina's Success Story...
“Being part of the Therapy that Works program has been such an amazing experience for me not only professionally but also personally. Diane is so knowledgeable about the field and helps therapists gain greater confidence in themselves.
In the program, I was able to learn how to take small steps to accomplish my goals including creating my YouTube Channel and passing the Law and Ethics Exam. It was also wonderful connecting with other clinicians in our mentoring group and supporting each other in achieving our goals.”
Associate (Pre-Licensed) Marriage and Family Therapist
Rehema's Success Story...
Therapy that Works is a relevant resource for any practicing or upcoming therapist. The program helps you to gain a deeper understanding of therapeutic approaches and how they can use to better help clients deal with contemporary challenges.
I enjoyed every session, but my favorite sessions were the simulation classes. I gained a wealth of knowledge from other participants across the globe and gained the insight that many fundamental clients' needs are universal, whether you hail from Kenya or Kansas.
The principles laid out under Therapy that Works can be used both in-person or virtually, which is truly a benefit.
As a person, the course expanded my mind into incorporating tenets such as “5-minute mindfulness” and using the 4 levels of analysis in my daily life, practices that I believe will bring about impactful change in my life and those around me.
I am forever grateful to Dr. Gerhart for her brilliant mind into crafting such an extensively relevant therapy course.
Marriage and Family Therapy Graduate Student, United States International University, Kenya
Melissa's Success Story...
"Diane's course exceeded my expectations. She was able to use technology to her advantage and to the advantage of her students. The simulation room was mind-blowing and every effective. I also learned valuable information from the guests and hope to see more of them."
US Navy Retired
Evelyn's Success Story...
…what I would like to add to the other accolades, is that Dr. Gehart goes far beyond the normal call of duty for professional educators, by providing unique experiences that draw out the talents in students who are ready to take their skills and gifts to the next level. And who are ready to consider what truly matters for them to enjoy a more fulfilling life. This may sound ambitious for one course; and, it’s not directly offered in the course descriptions. But, as I reviewed the syllabus, lesson objectives, and training modules, I became further convinced of what I already knew in my heart. This amazing professor is very passionate about her calling to teach, to develop, and to help bring into focus the overlooked visions and dreams that may have seemed unreachable; unnoticed; unsupported; hidden; or, even buried in the heart. Click to read more...
Shelli's Success Story...
This course is an answer to prayer!
It has given me what I have been searching for--HOW to do therapy.
Save Over $11,750 Compared to Traditional Training Programs!
Obtaining the same information elsewhere costs thousands more...
- 20 Hours of Live Supervision, Mixed Virtual Reality Sessions, and Demonstrations with a Master Therapist using cutting-edge training technology: $2,000+
- Master a Single, Comprehensive Assessment Intervention to enable you to quickly develop a comprehensive case conceptualization combining key elements of systemic, structural, emotionally focused therapy, cognitive-behavioral, dialectic-behavior therapy, and internal family systems approaches: $1,200
- Evidence-Based Treatment Planning that will enable you to quickly identify the best approach for any client, significantly improving your outcomes: Comparable training starts at $800+
- Effectively Treat Chronic and "Treatment Resistant" Cases by identifying subtle physiological conditions that impede progress, which will quickly build your reputation and practice as a highly effective clinician. Comparable training starts at $1,000+ and for many students, this knowledge saves them and their families $1,000s as well.
- Develop Skills for Trauma-Informed Care using key interventions from cognitive-behavioral, dialectic-behavioral, and exposure-response prevention approaches: Comparable training starts at $1,200
- Skillfully Integrate Diversity and Address Marginalization with all of your clients using a natural and uplifting approach to exploring these difficult-to-discuss topics: Comparable training starts at $850
- Build Competence with Couples and Families by learning how to use emotionally focused and structural enactments as well as how to use systems approaches to get unstuck with difficult cases: Comparable training starts at $1,500
- Master Solution-Focused Interventions that enable you to solidify client gains when working from any approach: Comparable training starts at $800
- Learn a Postmodern Collaborative Approach to facilitating conversations that quickly transform client lives: Comparable training starts at $1,000+
- Personal Emotional and Relational Wellness Plan, including goal and finance worksheets that can enable you to achieve your mental health and wellness goals with the tools you use with clients. Includes weekly check-ins to support you in achieving the goal of your choice over the course: $1,000+, with some students reporting over $10,000 in savings!
- Client Handouts and Worksheets: $400
- Free Course App that allows you to access course materials from any device easily: sorry, hard to put a price on fewer technical headaches and making life easier.
- Interacting with an International Group of Professionals to build strong professional and personal support networks with like-minded peers: how much are supportive and sane colleagues and friends worth to you?
- Confidence in Yourself Personally and Professionally Because Doing What You Love is Easy: Priceless
YOU PAY ONLY: $1,997*
*Don't forget to write this off your taxes, for an average net cost of $1,372!
Registration Starts Soon
Sign Up on the Waitlist for Extra Savings!!
Choose the Right Plan for You!
$1,007 in Savings and Bonuses
12 Monthly Payments
Make It Easy!
International? No problem. We use the UN Country Categories to make pricing equitable across the globe. See FAQs.
14-Day Zero Risk Guarantee
There are enough risks in life, so we don't want this course to be another one.
Try Therapy that Works® LIVE! for 14 days. Simply complete all course requirements for the first two weeks, including watching the videos, doing the assignments, and attending the first two live events, and we'll be happy to refund your purchase if you decide it is not for you. Refunds must be made in writing and will not be given after the first 14 days.
Note: If you purchase the program through PayPal Credit, the terms of the refund will be subject to this program's terms and conditions.
Sarah's Success Story...
Diane’s course has given me the skills and the confidence that I have been seeking to navigate the start of my career as a professional counselor. I decided to choose this course--above all others--as Diane understood my needs as a professional starting out.
I continue to use the skills, advice, and Diane’s foundational model of assessing intrapsychic and interpersonal interaction patterns in my therapy practice every day and it has become the building blocks to my practice.
Helen's Success Story...“Diane Gehart’s Therapy That Works course is an excellent supplement for anyone who is enrolled in remote learning.Having read several of her textbooks during my program, I jumped at the opportunity to observe her in action as a therapist and to learn through interactive role plays utilizing technology that is designed to take the edge off of any new therapist’s nerves.While becoming competent might be a continues journey of growth, Dr. Gehart’s course was an important stepping stone for me.”-X. Helen AltenbachFamily Therapy Graduate Student
This course is approved for 45 hours of CE from the NBCC and CAMFT.
Continuing education hours are available through both the NBCC (National Board for Certified Counselors) and CAMFT (California Association for Marriage and Family Therapists).
NBCC Continuing Education
Diane R Gehart has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7125. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Diane R Gehart is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
CAMFT Continuing Education
This course is approved by the Therapy that Works Institute, a California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)-approved continuing education provider (Provider #1000141).
Course CE certificates will be awarded upon completion of all course modules and the evaluation form.
Once the final course evaluation is complete, your course participation will be reviewed (we will confirm that you either attend the live sessions or watched the recordings for these CE hours). Once we have verified you have completed all hours, we will send you the certificate. This process takes 1-4 weeks.
CE certificates will be available through the portal after registration for 5 years.
Is This Course Right for Me? FAQs
How is this different from other training programs?
Will I make back my investment?
What is mixed-reality virtual simulation?
What is the course format and when do we meet?
Is this tax-deductible or reimbursable?
Can I get college credit for this course?
How many hours per month does this course require?
What if I miss a session or fall behind?
How much experience do I need to have?
Course Details: FAQs
How long will I have access to the program?
Do you adjust pricing for international professionals?
Is there a diversity policy?
Are there accommodations?
What if I have a concern?
What are the Learning Objectives for this course?
Can you tell me more about Diane Gehart?
Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Registration Starts Soon
Sign Up on the Waitlist for Extra Savings!!!
Choose the Right Plan for You!
$1,007 in Savings and Bonuses
12 Monthly Payments
Make It Easy!
International? No problem. We use the UN Country Categories to make pricing equitable across the globe.
Plus,10% off for Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. See FAQs.